Re: Air Warrior Exercises 01-09, advice please

Message posted by gary on June 07, 2001 at 21:31:28 PST:

This web site indicates Air Warrior 01-09 will be held
07/12/2001 - 07/29/2001. I was always told there was no weekend flying, but at the bottom of this post you can see that this is not true, at least for the events being held in June.

I've never been around during air warrior exercises. However, I may catch the begining of this event if the DLR website days are correct. As mentioned on this site, the events take place at Ft. Irwin, California's Mojave desert. I called the public affairs office at Nellis to inquire about Air Warrior and they said the planes are based at Nellis but the events take place at Ft. Irwin, confirming the information on DLR. Anyway, the bottom line is you may get to see more than the average number of planes at Nellis in the AM and PM, i.e. leaving and returning to base.

I poked around the Nellis public affairs web page and found this information about an Air Warrior event going on in early June (like now). This may give you a good clue regarding what times of day to see planes at Nellis for Air Warrior:

Early morning flights will be 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. Saturday and Sunday; 5 a.m. to 6 a.m.
Monday; 4 a.m. to 5 a.m. Tuesday; 3 a.m. to 4 a.m. June 8; 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
June 9 and 10; 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. June 13; 5:30 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. June 14; and 4:30 a.m.
to 6:30 a.m. June 15. Flights during these times will involve eight F-16 Fighting Falcons
participating in Air Warrior I. They will take off and head west to the U.S. Army National
Training Center, Fort Irwin, Calif. Aircraft return to Nellis one to two hours after taking off.

Late evening flights will be 9 p.m. June 4 and 12. These flights will involve more than
50 fighters and bombers at a time participating in the United States Air Force Weapons
School Mission Employment Phase. This group will be heading north into the restricted
Nevada Test and Training Range.

Given those take off times, I think waiting two hours later for the landing is a better idea.

Looks like the Rachel residents will have their peace and quiet disturbed on June 12th.

Incidentally, the public affairs office is quiet happy to have calls inquiring when to see airplanes. I gather most of the calls are the public complaining about noise.

Pretty unlikely you will see 700kts at Nellis since they are just taking off and landing. [The attached image is a Tornado flying damn fast near Cedar Pass Road.]

If someone has ever gone to Ft. Irwin and seen Air Warrior, I'd sure like some tips regarding viewing spots.

Attached link: click for news release

In Reply to: Air Warrior Exercises 01-09, advice please posted by Nimrod on June 07, 2001 at 13:09:27 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]