Re: WAAS reception on the Tikaboo hike

Message posted by lone wolf on December 22, 2006 at 10:55:15 PST:

I know what DGPS is as I hear those signals sit in the beacon band. [With a shortwave radio and "skyweeper", you can demod them.] What I didn't do was interpret that Garmin link correctly. Here is the key phrase:

"The corrected differential message is then broadcast through one of two geostationary satellites, or satellites with a fixed position over the equator."

So unlike regular GPS reception, where the birds are all over the place, you need a clear view of the equator for WAAS to work. So I think at some point in the hike, your view of the southern sky would be blocked. Probably once you are on the first false summit you could "see" the bird with the correction signal.

They had a GPS booth at the last Edwards open house. The guy there had a GPS that could pick up land based correction signals, not LW but I think VHF or UHF. I forget the spec, but the accuracy was something unbelievable, sub-meter I think.

The strange thing about hiking Tikaboo is I often lose the trail on the way down, but not often on the way up. It is easy to miss the trail in the stretch from the peak to the campsite.

In Reply to: Re: WAAS reception on the Tikaboo hike posted by Tom on December 22, 2006 at 6:23:59 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]