Re: strange box

Message posted by bjohnson on September 06, 2006 at 6:48:21 PST:

The metal wheels are not associated with a farm. They are laying off the side of the road approximately 100 yards from the guard shack on the main road to the base just to the south of Rachel. They appear to be the kind used by a power company or phone company to hold cable on and reel off as they place cable into the ground. Nowadays, they use the wooden reels. They are not hard to miss. There are 3 of them laying on the ground just off the road. (2 on one side, 1 on the other). Between the 2 on the south side of the road is a small 2 rut road leading up a small incline. Up that about 50 feet in the middle of the road is this box. (You can see the guard shack from this box) If you are in Rachel, go check it out and give me your opinion.

The small box has a locking wheel lid at one end. It is all partially covered with brush and gravel, but can be seen since it looks like partially buried trash in the middle of the road. With a short twist of the handle, the round lid comes up and you can peer into who knows what.

If this is associated with a farm, it is a long ways from the nearest green pasture. It appears to be some kind of access point for some kind of power or communication line that may be abandoned.

I was just wondering if anyone knows about this. But again, it is NOT associated with a farm, pasture, or water line.

We also rode ATV's up the canyon on the other side of the road towards the abandoned mine on Friday night. As it was getting dark, there were some lights on inside the building. I thought that this mine and associated buildings up the canyon were abandonded around 1988. There appeared to be numerous locked gate access roads that showed no signs of traffic either. I wonder if there is someone living up there like a caretaker?

In Reply to: Re: strange box posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on September 06, 2006 at 3:55:03 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]