Re: Red Flag Chat

Message posted by Hank on July 31, 2006 at 23:31:18 PST:

This is pretty much how it goes at Red Flag time. Iam accredited and my name is on the authorized media list at Nellis. Once Red flag starts Iam locked out. Sometimes a few days before, the base is available but not always.
The use of the Cheyenne Rd. spot is mostly dependent on the wind and some runway construction that is going on.. If they are landing with the wind blowing south to north the fighters will fly into the pattern from the north and either break left or right and usually land on 21L. The tankers and the AWACS and some of the stealthy stuff will do a straight in approach over APEX. If the wind is coming from the north the Cheyenne Rd. location is the place to be. They will usually fly right over your head. The photo ops aren"t too bad across the street at the speedway. Park in front of gate A or B and and they will be landing from your left to right. Lots of the pics posted here were taken from that location and arent as bad as one may think. Usually the takeoffs, if the aircraft have rockets, and bombs hanging on them go from south to north as their is nothing but desert in front of them if their is a malfunction. To the south is heavily populated. I assume you know that Coyote Summit is in Rachel. Its the view spot of choice up there. Yes the planes that participate that are not already based at Nellis trickle in Saturday and Sunday. Hard saying when they will be there as their isnt any Notams for them. Joerg and i were out there on a Sunday and got some really good shots around 2:00 in the afternoon but you never know.
Hope this helps. If you have any further questions please post them or email me
bljk8@cox.net
Hank

In Reply to: Re: Red Flag Chat posted by Brian on July 31, 2006 at 22:44:59 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]