Re: Electrochromatic technology question....

Message posted by werD on July 13, 2006 at 10:07:56 PST:

In terms of feasibility, the technology has sort of yielded its head in the civilian world- things like electronic paper and OLED/OLEP technologies translate to precisely what this sort of camo might require- either changing pigments or full-color illumination embedded in a thin plastic. At least in the consumer world, the technology isn't quite there, though mostly because of price.

The missing piece right now, as far as I can tell, is creating an onboard computer that would be capable of doing the math and running such a huge matrix of pixels. Even if the areas were pretty small, we're still talking about adding at a minimum 2 or 3 miles of wire to cover the important surfaces. Also, computers tend to get things like color matching and while balance wrong on their own- in order for it to be accurate and usable, a whole new approach to actively making cammo patterns would have to have been invented.

So in terms of feasibility, I suppose it's possible- it would have been one of the most impressive engineering feats of this half of the century if they have managed to put something like this in F-117 or anything that is currently flying.

That's my attempt at logical speculation- take it or leave it

In Reply to: Re: Electrochromatic technology question.... posted by Ron on July 12, 2006 at 17:25:14 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]