Re: Earthquakes around Area 51

Message posted by Will(NorCal) on June 07, 2006 at 22:05:54 PST:

That is interesting, but I am not sure the seismic "layer" on Google earth is very reliable.

For an example, in my neck of the woods (Oroville, CA), it shows a gazillion quakes of magnitude 5 or greater happening over the span of 2 days in 1975.

I wasn't living here then, so I suppose it is possible, but nobody I've talked to remembers such an event.

I have been here since 1985 and have felt exactly one quake. That was about 12 years ago and had an epicenter located near Lake Tahoe.

I don't know if extreme trans-sonic events could register as a magnitude 3, but it might be possible?

Maybe the Groom quakes were just related to really loud "sonic booms"?

We hear and feel detonations here from the ordnance disposal range near Susanville, so it might be possible they would register as seismic events.

What I found interesting after turning on the earthquake layer was the great number of events over in area 19 of the NTS. I guess the Defense Nuclear Agency was really getting into those tunnel penetration tests.

The place must be like Swiss Cheese, judging by the number of events that took place.

In Reply to: Earthquakes around Area 51 posted by George on June 07, 2006 at 8:52:14 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]