(Slightly OT, apologies) Re: werD's Google search for Area-51

Message posted by werD on June 06, 2006 at 5:37:11 PST:

I'm definitely agreeing with the diagnosis. A search for words more likely used on this site (groom lake, groom lake panorama, rachel groom, etc.) still doesn't return a result on the front page-- google is definitely having a hard time crawling DLR and getting the data it wants.

If the responsible parties were to submit the updates page to google sitemaps (https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/), google's crawlers would visit that page first, and use it as a way to keep current information about the site. If someone got ambitious and included either a straight out sitemap page (updates, plus links and descriptions to every page already on the site, directly), or converted the updates page to RSS (this makes it incredibly easy for google to crawl), I would imagine the ratings would go way up, too. I have managed to increase the hit statistics on my personal page considerably by simply using google sitemaps and RSS, even though I am not linked to very often at all, and the topics covered on the site change from month to month by a great deal.

In Reply to: Re: werD's Google search for Area-51 posted by Lumpy on June 05, 2006 at 21:47:18 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]