Re: Does anyone know why this would be?

Message posted by lone wolf on February 04, 2006 at 18:21:07 PST:

The janet rerouting could be Red Flag related.

Scanning the NTS trunk system might provide some clues. The place is more active than people realize, but the activity is all indoors or underground since the testing went subcritical.

TG2000 is typically where I hear test activity. Radioreference.com has the information on setting up a scanner for the NTS, though I will tell you some of the information there isn't correct. Some of the trunk systems use a split, so if you program your scanner in the manner indicated on radioreference, the scanner will be tuned occasionally to the wrong frequency, though sometimes to a Groom Lake Edacs channel (different system).

Since Nellis is on the same system, I'd encourage regular visitors to get an APCO capable scanner. The repeaters used by the Red Flag ground units are in poor condition, so I suspect they may be getting radios for the NTS system. I've heard the ground units talk about their digital frequencies, but have not yet caught one on the NTS system.

There is no split on the system used at Nellis AFB, so you can track it just fine with an APCO capable scanner using the information on radioreference.com. Much of the ground activity is now on this system.

Attached link: NTS/Nellis trunk system

In Reply to: Re: Does anyone know why this would be? posted by Dave Bethke on February 04, 2006 at 16:26:39 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]