Re: Jerry Freeman Dies 3/20/01 Hiked near Area 51 and lived to tell about it.

Message posted by Steve Hauser on April 06, 2001 at 1:54:45 PST:

I am greatly saddened to hear of Jerry's death. I had the opportunity to exchange many emails and some letters with him about his trip into the Nellis Range. I am kicking myself for not taking him up on the opportunity to visit him in Pearblossom when I attended the 1999 Edwards air show. Jerry sent me a manuscript of his book, "Forbidden Journey," which described his trek into NAFR. I fear that book will not now be published. What Jerry did was ballsy, risky, and illegal (the bastards would not let him do so legally despite his many requests) and no one is likely to ever equal his feat. He could not have cared less about the alien/Papoose connection. His sole reason for entering NAFR was to find an inscription made by the lost '49ers in Nye Canyon. He succeeded in doing so on his second trip on his way back from Papoose. Judging from his route, he walked through some pretty hot areas of the NTS. One hopes that had no bearing on his cancer. Jerry provided me with a photo he took of himself standing in front of Papoose Lake, with the "Lazar area" clearly visible in the background (there's nothing there) and another photo of the inscription in Nye Canyon. I know that photo is authentic because it matches a 50-or-so-year-old photo of the inscription in a book on the '49ers. I promised Jerry I would possess the photos on an eyes-only basis as he wanted to publish them for the first time with his book. I will keep that promise unless his family instructs me I may do otherwise. There will never be another desert rat like Jerry Freeman. Rest in peace, Jerry.

In Reply to: Re: Jerry Freeman Dies 3/20/01 Hiked into Area 51 and lived to tell about it. posted by Magoo on April 05, 2001 at 21:40:14 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]