Re: WAR on the Horizon - quite possible!

Message posted by Rocketfox on April 03, 2001 at 20:26:28 PST:

Actually, Spooky probably can't elaborate, though I bet he'd like to, as he is bound by restrictions that we as civilians do not have.

Regarding his call for comments:

Does this remind anyone in it's similarity to the Boxer Rebellion, or the concept of Gunboat Diplomacy?

We have sent Marines into China before, and with much less reason. Hopefully, statecraft will obviate the need for an armed incursion this time, but I do detect the faint sound of guns firing in the not too distant future.

And I would mention to Magoo and others, there is that small matter of the undecalred war in Manchuria against the Russians, going on now for some time in relative quiet and obscurity. It might also be too optimistic to claim that China can't invade anybody. If they choose to, they can always field a fairly good sized army, although not as technnically sopfisticated as others might be, but still, a large mass of humans can cause a considerable amount of damage.

On the Intel side of things, unconfirmed reports are circulating that some of the data systems were destroyed before the plane landed, but the general consensus seems to be that the Chinese are going to acquire consoderable information about capabilities. If there is any good to come out of this for the future, perhaps it's time for some new systems to be designed and implemented.

I remember the incident involving the Mayaguez, when all the crypto cards worldwide had to be changed out for fear the whole system had been compromised. There was a lot of scrambling around worldwide to make sure our systems were secure. I have no doubt this has been a very busy and "interesting" time at Ft Meade.

What I don't see at this time is the motivation of China in prolonging the delay of allowing contact with the crew and aircraft. If they don't have everything they can get by now, all it's going to do is make matters worse for them in the long run. Seems to me they have a lot more to lose than gain at this point.

I just hope diplomacy works this time...

By the way... although most of us do have TV's, thanks for the original post... I heard it here first as I do not usually watch TV when I'm not at work...

R*

In Reply to: Re: WAR on the Horizon - quite possible! posted by Magoo on April 03, 2001 at 16:18:49 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]