Re: Google

Message posted by werD on December 15, 2005 at 10:46:05 PST:

Since I was deprived of google earth for a great while (but now they have a mac beta available through some back-channels), I can tell you for sure that the area 51 imagery hasn't changed. It probably is a security thing.

If you look up what are known ICBM sites on google earth, 99.9% of them just *happen* to be at least 1/4 of a mile inside the change over to very low quality imagery. The exceptions I've found thus far happen to be certifiably inactive.

Point being, we have known (and should be thankful) that google has agreed to help the government hide some things. Google has made this decision public. As much as I would enjoy looking at CIA headquarters and searching for secret bases on my free time, I'm equally thankful that people who want to search for these things in the interest of destroying us can't. You have to draw the line somewhere, and when it comes to being able to see secrets without proving you're a safe person, I hold no grudges. There's no way to tell the difference between the terrorists, the concerned citizens, and the hardcore killing foriegn people with technology buffs- which is why government secrets are handled the way they are.

In Reply to: Re: Google posted by lone wolf on December 14, 2005 at 17:18:34 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]