Red Flag Movie

Message posted by lone wolf on December 11, 2005 at 11:59:35 PST:

I got a copy of the Red Flag movie (aka Fighter Pilot) at Fry's. [You don't lose much going from Imax to a small TV screen.] Besides the film, they include a "making of" segment that is interesting. For instance, I was a critical of the use of computer generated images, especially in the bombing sequences. I though they should just set up a camera behind a bunker and shoot the real thing. It turns out they did put a camera in a bunker, but that camera got trashed with shrapnel. There is also a segment on how the air to air filming was done. In one case, they used a B25 with the camera mounted where the tail gunner goes. In another case, the camera was mounted in the nose of a Lear Jet. There was no way to aim the camera other than aiming the airplane.

The package comes with two DVDs. One is a normal DVD, and the other is a DVD with Windows Media HD. This allows you to view the film at 720p or 1080p resolution on a PC. [You could probably watch it on a HDTV if your PC has DVI out.] While I don't have HDTV, I do have a 21 inch CRT on my PC. The clarity is just amazing. In that scene where all the pilots and crew are assembled for the Red Flag meeting, you can read the names on their flight suits. Reading text on the planes is no problem. The windows media player seems to get around normal screen capture. [Grrrrrr....]

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]