Re: Purchasng a scanner & GPS ????

Message posted by lone wolf on October 25, 2005 at 13:15:44 PST:

There are two trunk systems you can monitor on the Nellis range. One is the Nevada Test Site, which uses P25 digita that is not encrypted. The other is the Groom Lake EDACS system that is ProVoice. It is unknown if the system is encrypted or not. There are no scanners capable of decoding ProVoice.

To be technical, there are multiple trunk repeaters in each system. I don't have the numbers handy, but from memory there are 8 sites for the NTS and 10 for Groom Lake if you count the EDACS provoice system at Basecamp and a similar system at Nellis AFB. I have most of the Groom Lake sites in correct LCN order, but the lack of a scanner that can decode ProVoice makes the sigint more of a mental exercise.

I was at the EDW airshow. EDW just went P25. I just uploaded the information on that system to hidesertscan on yahoogroups. EDW informations also shows up on socalmilcom on yahoogroups.

For P25, a Pro-96 does the job. It can be hacked to do milair via software, but the specs are not as good as a real mil air scanner. The pro-97 does mil air and analog trunking. It goes on sale in November for around $150. The Pro-96 goes on sale in December for $400. Expect the demand to be very high on the Pro-96 when it goes on sale. The pro-2096 is the mobile version of the pro-96. Uniden has some P25 scanners, but the sound quality on digital is really bad. The advantage to using Uniden digital scanners is they can operate from PCs, while Radio Shack scanners can only be programmed from PCs.

In Reply to: Re: Purchasng a scanner & GPS ???? posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on October 24, 2005 at 21:34:08 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]