Re: Purchasng a scanner & GPS ????

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on October 24, 2005 at 21:34:08 PST:

I use a Garmin Etrex Vista GPS, and a scanner similar to the Uniden Bearcat 3000. Not sure if the Bearcat 3000 is still being sold. Both are not top of the line, but have always served me well out there.

I would recommend a scanner that is capable of receiving military air band (225-400 MHz). I believe Radio Shack sells a model that has mil. air as well.

If you have some more money to play with, you can get a trunking capable scanner. Range security uses a trunking system. Unfortunately the interesting (Groom related) security stuff is digitally encrypted, so a trunk scanner is of somewhat limited use.

I have also used the Icom IC-R20 scanner out there, which is not trunking capable, but has a lot more features, better sensitivity and wider frequency range 0.150-3300 MHz. I particularly like the built-in audio recorder, the dual-watch feature and the USB interface that allows uploading your frequency list from a PC. Except for an odd sensitivity gap between 298 and 300MHz, the IC-R20 is by far the best handheld scanner I have used to date.

In Reply to: Purchasng a scanner & GPS ???? posted by Apracticalguy on October 24, 2005 at 21:05:18 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]