Re: Of bots, droids, and Don Rumsfeld

Message posted by Magoo on March 25, 2001 at 15:57:23 PST:

Interesting observations and views there RF.

Yes, the next 'major' conflict is likely to be fought in the southern (India/Pakistan) or eastern (China/everyone else) Asia region, although I wouldn't discount the possibility of the Middle East and/or the Balkans flaring up again.

If India and Pakistan were to come to heavy blows instead of the current minor border skirmishes, there is also the possibility of China being drawn into such a confrontation because of its close political ties to Pakistan, and historical hatred of India.

There is also the possibility of China trying to take back its "renegade province" Taiwan, or come into conflict with other southeast Asian nations regarding resource exploitation. Australia, and probably the US would be also be drawn into both.

The B-2 certainly did prove itself by flying return missions to Kosovo from Whiteman AFB in Missouri, but these were just test missions more than anything. Once RAF Fairford in the UK, and Anderson AFB on Guam are fitted out to support B-2 ops (i.e. climate controlled hangars for RAM maintenance), we wont see many more of these 'round-the-world' missions.

If the DoD presses ahead with the combined rapid reaction air wings (i.e. combined B-1B, F-15E, F-15C, F-16CJ/G, KC-10/135 wings), then these can be deployed to almost any friendly point on the globe within 48 hours of the go-ahead being given. In the future, the F-22 and F-24 (JSF) would replace the F-15C, F-15E and F-16CJ/G.

As for smaller carriers, whilst I can see some benefits in the 'pocket carrier' concept, I feel the super carrier has been one of the best deterrents and political weapons of the last 40 years, starting wth the Forrestal class in the late 50's.

I doubt anything makes a potential adversary think twice more than one of these behomeths parked off their coast! Several commentators have said that one of the first things the president says when faced with a potential conflict, is "Where are the carriers?" With new shaping, defensive weapons, catapult designs, aircraft, and propulsions systems earmarkedfor the CVX-78 design onwards, I think the supercarrier will remain the best conventional deterrent any nation could have, and only the USA has them!

You mentioned the Royal Navy Invincible class V/STOL carriers...in fact the UK is looking at the possibility of getting back into fixed wing conventional carriers again.

We live in interesting times, and I'm sure the workload at Groom will only increase in the next decade or two.

Magoo

In Reply to: Of bots, droids, and Don Rumsfeld posted by Rocketfox on March 25, 2001 at 13:29:57 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]