Re: AN-124 Enroute to LAS

Message posted by lone wolf on July 27, 2005 at 22:00:27 PST:

The SF Bay Area has quite a bit of Soviet history, and not much of it of the kinder, gentler persuasion. ;-) Much of the submarine hunting took place here [Moffet Field and Mare Island). Local shortwave monitors would catch the occasional transmission from the Green Street embasy. Two spy incidents come to mind. In one situation, a van was parked by the side of the road in a particular location to intercept transmissions from Mt. Diablo to Mare. I forget the reason why, but the CHP stopped to investigate this van. The van was full of communications gear. The driver was a Soviet national who found life changed at that point. The person who relayed the story to me was on a P3 at the time, so they were notifed immediately.

The other spy case wasn't very public. I know the guy who publishes the local scanner guides. These are quite good, so good that the police and feds buy them. So one day he gets a call that some will be over to buy a complete set. Then this guy shows up with a thick Russian accent who claimed to be a merchant Marine. Uh yeah, sorry, no sale. ;-)

In Reply to: Re: AN-124 Enroute to LAS posted by Mark Dahn on July 27, 2005 at 21:39:21 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]