Re: military/area51 frequency questions

Message posted by lone wolf on July 16, 2005 at 15:34:47 PST:

I suppose we all have a different tolerance of neocon crap. Larry Van Horn is more of a federal monitor, and in that respect he is quite useful, mostly because federal frequency useage is a bit more uniform across the country. [They are based in NC.] He posts on the fedcom list. The traffic on that list is low, and nearly all of it is useful.

I'm a member of aircomsouthwest, though I only read it periodically before heading to the Edwards/Nellis region. Their database section is good and that alone is worth the hassle to join.

The funny thing about that lame Area 51 special is that I got a call from the producer to be Tikaboo tour guide. Having just done the hike twice the previous month, and assuming they wouldn't like my slow geriatric pace going up the hill, plus doing a bit of questioning to determine they were idiots, I turned it down. Had I known they wanted someone to monitor the range, I would have been interested. I assure you I would have done a better job than Bob Grove. Geez, just the BBQ by the back gate (inspired by those guys staying behind a pole that was not the border) would have made better video. Just the thought of the camo dudes peeping from behind the blinds still cracks me up. [Come on dudes, only little old ladies do that.]

BTW, Karl and Magoo, the rocks for the BBQ pit are still there.

Anyway, it's a free (somewhat) country, and I still stand by my comment that the DLR frequency list is the way to go. Some of the frequencies on the DLR list are not used, or more corectly stated have never been heard by me during my visits. [That is, the list may need trimming, but it certainly isn't lacking.] I posted a smaller list on highdesertscan on yahoogroups of frequencies that I have heard used, or come directly from current sources such as the FAA or DOD FLIP. It's in the files section.

Note that Nellis is now on the NTS Astro Trunk system, so many of the Nellis ground frequencies on the various lists are not used anymore. I would bet Creech will go on the system eventually, but haven't heard any of their traffic yet. Most of the DOE discrete frequencies on the Grove list are not used as far as I can tell, i.e .the NTS (technically NNSA) trunk system has replaced them. The DOE has been clamping down on this information being on-line (i.e. sending nasty letters to website owners), so I suggest joining radioreference.com and get the data while you still can. Some site, such as Lawrence Livermore Labs, USED to be on radioreference.com.

In Reply to: Re: military/area51 frequency questions posted by truckertom on July 16, 2005 at 14:12:46 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]