Re: military/area51 frequency questions

Message posted by truckertom on July 16, 2005 at 14:12:46 PST:

Lonewolf,

In all due respect, I've lurked Milcom since 98/99ish and cannot recall Bob Grove posting a single email to the group ! Unfair to lump him w/ this. I agree, his TV debut was pathetic. Chalk it up to the producers looking for name recognition instead of a real expert. Grove is a good businessman, not a professional Mil monitor. Van Horn occasionally posts something worthwhile and on topic. Not sure where
you get "irrelevent neocon" from. Thats nonsense ! Catch up on the archives--> http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/milcom/ I see
about 75% logs and the remainder Milair discussion. Sorry to waste bandwidth, but I couldn't sit idle and have that distorted. As far as the regional yahoo groups, I think there is one out there called "Aircomms Southwest". Enough about that.

>
>
> You can google the scantenna to get opinions. It's a bicone instead of a discone >for most of the band. A bicone needs a balun. The impedance match isn't so >good (75 ohm versus 50 ohm). The real problem with large discones/bicones and >he scantenna is that they pick up FM broadcast signals, and these signals will >desense all but the highest end scanners. The AT-197/GR is better for mil air >since it is a smaller discone, i.e. cut above the FM broadcast band. It's also what >the USAF uses, though they pay the full $1k for new ones.

The Scantenna ships with a balun transformer which matches up good with the supllied RG-6. (I chunked it and got higher grade Quad Shield )I'd say many of the folks here are novice scannists and would rather not spend hundreds for MILSPEC. I get a small amount of overload with mine, but am happy with the overall performance on VHF Low/High and UHF Milband. Routinely hear a/c up around 30k out 250-275nm.

Incidently, I emailed the Rami sales dept last month and they gave me a quote of $850. Reason being I found a 'like new' AT-197 on e-bay and was toying with a bid. It eventually went for $275. Another ATR was had for $225 several days later. I'd like do a side by side with the Scantenna and compare.

Have a good weekend.. And for folks on the E coast, dont forget to plug in 259.7 next week during the Shuttle assent.

- Show quoted text -

>
>
>
> For civil air band, one of the guys on the list (who can speak up if he wants) has a J-pole cut for the civil air band. It can just barely pick up the Janets as they land at Groom, from a location in Vegas I wouldn't consider all that optimal.
>
>
>
> You will note the scantenna has no specs. The AT-197/GR is spec'd at -0.3dB. It is generally accepted in commercial antennas to specify the gain relative to a 1/2 wave dipole, so the AT-197/GR is just slightly worse than a dipole, but it maintains its gain and impedance over the mil air band. [The dbi gain is relative to a mythical isentropic radiator, and tends to be used on consumer gear since the number is higher.] The glass like thing near the top is a lightning arrestor. Note that the AT-197/GR can be dissasembled, i.e the lower elements unscrew and the top hat pops off. This is so the antenna can be used by the military in the field, that is, it comes apart for easier transport.
>
>
>
> The AS-1405 is also designed for use in the field. Some of the longer elements can be retracted. The antenna is then placed in a plastic case that is molded to the shape of the antenna. The nice thing about the AS-1405 is that it uses a N connector, which is commonly available. Only the military uses the HN connector, so you either have to modify the antenna or get a HN to N adapter.
>
>
>
> I know Nellis' 99th Communications Squadron surfs my site, so I assume they read this forum. Come on guy and give us a cool frequency or two...
>
> ------------
> Do not reply to this email. To reply to this post please visit
> our Discussion Forum at http://www.dreamlandresort.com/
>
> You are receiving this email because you are subscribed
> to our Discussion Forum mailing list. To unsubscribe go to
> http://www.dreamlandresort.com/mailinglist.html
>

In Reply to: Re: military/area51 frequency questions posted by lone wolf on July 14, 2005 at 23:46:50 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]