Re: XB-70 Valkyrie??...Maybe???

Message posted by Magoo on March 22, 2001 at 13:56:06 PST:

Thud

The rumor is (and I repeat, RUMOR!), that the XB-70 concept was developed into the 'Brilliant Buzzard', often referred to as the 'Super Valkyrie', to carry and launch a smaller space capable anti-satellite plane/craft as part of the SDI funding. It is believed a total of three such aircraft were built by Boeing.

Supposedly, when the START weapons reduction/monitoring agreement between Russia and the USA was agreed in the early 1990s, two of these aircraft were parked on the ramp in the open at Groom to coincide with a Russian satellite overpass for monitoring purposes. I have heard this rumor from two unrelated and credible sources, although there is no concrete proof to back it up.

These aircraft are believed to have been retired, but where they reside now is anyones guess. Edwards has been mentioned as a possibility.

Although such a plane is an enthusiasts dream, personally, I have my doubts as to the existance of such an aircraft - supposedly 200+ feet long, and capable of high Mach speeds (3+!). Surely 'someone' would have photographed it in all the years it has been around!

Magoo

In Reply to: XB-70 Valkyrie?? posted by Thud on March 22, 2001 at 7:44:37 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]