Strange lights in Southampton UK

Message posted by TR on May 06, 2005 at 13:27:21 PST:

This information comes from Southampton UK. I myself am a professional engineer with 20 yrs experience, and also used to 'plane' spot when I was a child. Upon eating in my car late at night I have observed two unusual sightings.

Sighting 1.
As I am sitting in my car looking across Southampton water, the small town of Hythe is directly in front of me (other side of Southampton water!) about one half mile distant (approx). I was casually looking across one night to see a very bright light on the horizon, to my right. Upon watching it, it appeared to be hovering or travelling towards me ( I naturally assumed helicoptor). At arms length the 'object' appeared to be about 1" above horizon, so probably a couple of hundred feet. The object then decended very fast to the ground out of sight (within 2sec.). As there is a military port in that vicinity I assumed it was a helicoptor. However, 10 mins later, a light appeared again from (the same place it disappeared) the ground but took off at great speed across
Southampton. Not a helicopter. Let me tell you two things here. Firstly there where no navigation lights as specified by the CAA. Secondly, there was no noise at any time that could of come from the object.

Sighting 2.
This happened after sighting 1, by approx, 6 months. Again was in car eating food late one night. Looking straight across to Hythe, but very slightly to the right appeared a bright orange-shaded light on the tree line on the horizon. Not taking much notice of this light, the next thing was that it had moved at an angle to me of 45deg upwards to about ~300feet then appeared to hover for a few seconds.
This light then sped away at great speed into the distance. The light appeared to just switch off after moving off. As above, there where no navigation lights or sound to be heard.

Since seeing these sightings I have purchased a pair of medium quality binoculars just in case!. Would be great if anyone from around here has observed similar sightings or can simply expain.
T

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]