Re: Red Flag Exercises.

Message posted by gary on March 16, 2001 at 20:44:55 PST:

I can't say I have seen planes flying in that direction. Is this the border in the Tikaboo Valley? The planes tend to come "over the hill" further north of the "front gate" area.

I think what is in the back of your mind is that the red flag planes are using the groom runways, which would put them in the spot you suggested. I believe the red flag flights are originating out of Nellis, though I wouldn't rule out planes entering from the TTR. I was on Brainwash Butte during green flag and had planes flying around me (one to the left in the restricted NTS area, and one to the right over the spot I label "airwatch" on my TTR map). I've seen helicopters coming from Nellis in the Sally Cooridoor, but I don't know if the planes approach from that direction.

Really what you want to do is watch the dog fights. Joerg pointed out one spot near Cedar Ranch (which is where I was). The other photos on the DLR site are from Powerline Overlook. The nice thing about Cedar Ranch is they "push it", i.e. go supersonic. The spot you are talking about may be in the Rachel "noise sensitive" zone, which of course is quite a joke.

The Coyote Summit that Joerg mentioned in his post is a spot where the planes fly over, but don't seem to do any dogfight in the vicinity.

If you had the "whatevers", climbing Reveille Peak would give great views of the dog fights in the Cedar Ranch area.

In Reply to: Re: Red Flag Exercises. posted by Thud on March 16, 2001 at 11:17:36 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]