Re: Night vision exercises in the ranges

Message posted by Jim Bob on March 30, 2005 at 11:14:58 PST:

Eight to ten years ago there was debate as to whether military aircraft would be allowed to train in the Nellis related MOA with lights-out in the MOAs. That is to say that military aircraft could turn off their anti-collision lights for the purpose of creating a more realistic warfighting senario. The problem with a MOA is that it does not restrict VFR traffic from entering the airspace. I believe there was also some concern regarding accidental spill-out and IFR aircraft in adjoining airspace.

Within the time frame of this MOA airspace debate night vision goggles have become a very valuable tool in nightime military operations. Turning off the anti-collision lights certainly provides a more ralistic training environment.

Just a guess but Red Flag participating aircraft operating (with night vision) in the Reveille and Desert MOAs may be restricted to refueling and marshalling. I can't be sure but I think I was told that the Blue Force used the 115 degree line for regeneration after being killed in early RF missions. This could suggest that no RF air-to-air takes place east of the 115.

A friend is staying near the base indicated that there was a mission launch after the evening RF recovery. This could be elements of the Weapons School training in the night vision portion of the cirriculum. These missions could extend into early morning hours not shown in reference to the Red Flag NOTAMS posted on DLR.

In Reply to: Re: Night vision exercises in the ranges posted by Chuck Clark on March 29, 2005 at 18:47:39 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]