Re: How do Orion Telescopes measure up

Message posted by lone wolf on January 30, 2005 at 16:32:59 PST:

I don't think the cammo dudes would bust up anything on Tikaboo. In fact, I'd say half of them couldn't do the hike. I'm not sure a chopper would drop them off either. I'm sure the USAF has the best chopper pilots, but I bet they wouldn't like messing around on a ridge line. It is the point of maximum thermals.

You can get half way up to Tikaboo on ATVs. However, I wish the people doing this wouldn't use the hiking trail. If you study the hiking path, you can see that Mahood and crew picked a route that has the minimum elevation change and shortest distance. If you have an ATV, you could drive along the spline of the mountain.
A route something like
N37 19 57.1 W115 19 57.3
to
N37 20 14.9 W115 20 44.0

Twice the distane and twice the elevation change, but who cares since you are riding a machine. The final climb probably has to be done on foot.

There is a hill near Tikaboo that isn't quite as high that might be accessible by ATV. I've never hiked it, but Chuck told me he took someone there who he determined couldn't do the rest of the hike up Tikaboo.

My guess is it is this hill
N37 20 17.2 W115 21 10.0

In Reply to: Re: How do Orion Telescopes measure up posted by Hawkeye on January 30, 2005 at 15:47:34 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]