Re: How do Orion Telescopes measure up

Message posted by lone wolf on January 30, 2005 at 13:33:26 PST:

Ah, but you are not just going to strap the OTA on your back. Given the price of the beast, you will probably have a case that weighs at least a dozen lbs.

One of the things I haven't been able to defeat is the effect of the wind. You can get cloth devices that let you add mass to the tripod by piling dirt on the cloth, but you need mass on the telescope itself to keep the wind from blowing it around.

I have made a discovery that using a finder scope can come in handy in determining the best time to hit the remote shutter release. You can look in the finder and see the image move with the wind. Once the wind stops, you still need to wait until the telescope/tripod has stopped shaking. However, you can look in the finder and see the overall image stabilize.

I guess I should mention that you can't look in the viewfinder to see the image stabilize because the camera mirror needs to be locked. If you don't lock the mirror, the movement will blur the image. I don't know if digital cameras have the same limitation.

I haven't tried this, but I guess you could put a barlow in the finder scope to get a better sense of the image stabilization.

In Reply to: Re: How do Orion Telescopes measure up posted by Chuck Clark on January 30, 2005 at 13:17:32 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]