Writer Inquiry- Why The Fascinaton?

Message posted by Curious George on October 25, 2004 at 12:28:10 PST:

Hello:

I'm a writer gathering info for a story on the public fascination with Area 51. I'm trying to get some understanding of why people find the Rachel area so interesting, from the standpoint of the installation itself, NOT paranormal activities or sightings.

Looking over the Dreamland Resort site and others, I have the impression that people go to a lot of trouble and expense to visit Rachel, when all that can really be seen is a little bit of the outer perimeter of a huge restricted area. A few orange posts and the occasional cammo dude sighting is pretty much all that anyone can get out of going down Groom Lake Road. Even if someone hikes Tikaboo, then the reward is a dim, fuzzy view of some industrial-looking buildings from 26 miles away. Plane-spotting doesn't seem to have much of a reward, either, since black project flights are evidently done at night, where you can't see anything but lights.

Yet it's obvious that some of you are absolutely fascinated, and you are willing to do what it takes to know what little you can of activity in the area. So that others might understand your hobby or interest better, can people here enlighten me?

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]