Re: OT: 2m & 70cm's Repeaters

Message posted by ham wolf on October 09, 2004 at 9:23:32 PST:

Assuming you can't rent antennas (a good assumption), you could buy them locally and "geocache" them. That is, protect them from the elements and stash them in the desert. I put my portable antennas in PVC pipe just to keep them from getting bent in transport, but this could serve as weatherproofing as well. I can "travel-proof" an antenna for under a $1. [Two end caps and a maybe 2ft of pipe.] Most antennas will fit in 1/2 inch pvc pipe.

Weather proofing the mag mount(s) is relatively simple. The mag mount should fit in a 2 gallon zip bag. Probably you would want to put this stuff in a bucket. All these items can be purchased at Home Depot except for the zip lock bags, which you probably have in the UK. Home Deport would probably cut the pipe for you if you work your British accent a bit. ;-)

All this assumes you have a GPS so that you can stash your goodies someplace in the desert. I'd suggest a spot along route 93, somewhere in the lower altitudes so snow is not an issue. [You want to be able to retrieve your stash at any time of the year.] I'd suggest the road where the sign "one room school house" is displayed. Find a rocky area and look for a crevice, or at least an outcropping where the stash won't be seen.

In Reply to: Re: OT: 2m & 70cm's Repeaters posted by Richard on October 08, 2004 at 5:40:00 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]