Re: GPS units Which unit is best for me??

Message posted by satcom lobo on October 05, 2004 at 20:01:10 PST:

Regarding using a satellite phone as a GPS, I don't know since I never used a satellite phone as a phone let alone a GPS. However, a gps is pocket change compared to getting a satellite phone, so why not get both if you are inclined to get a satellite phone?

It's my personal philosophy that you should use the right tool for the job, not just in satellite phones or GPSs, but in general. You can use a wrench as a hammer, but a hammer does a better job at hammering. Of course, sometimes you don't have the right tool handy or don't want to buy one, so you improvise. However, a GPS is a pretty dedicated tool for navigation that is much more than just getting coordinates. For instance, every GPS I used can record a trail and then help you either retrace that trail or reverse the trail and help you get back to the origin. Some GPSs can be uploaded with maps. A PC interface helps in transfering waypoints between other GPS owners. I haven't looked at the satellite phone market, but I suspect unless the phone is made by a GPS manufacturer, it won't be as featured as even a simple stand-alone gps.

Regarding satellite phones around the ranges, I know they are used by the NTS where their repeaters can't reach, so I would expect at least some brand of satellite phone not to be jammed. Besides the more modern Irridium and similar systems, there is also the older inmarsat phone (the phone choice of Osama bin Ladden, which he uses in the clear). I don't know if that kind of service is cheaper. When I look up satellite phones on the net, I really don't think I'm getting a straight answer.

In Reply to: Re: GPS units Which unit is best for me?? posted by Hank on October 05, 2004 at 15:25:46 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]