Re: GPS units Which unit is best for me??

Message posted by Hank on October 05, 2004 at 15:25:46 PST:

My experience with a satellite phone is as follows.I rented a Motorola Iridium 9505. It cost me $150.00 for the week. I had to prepay for a sim card. Similar to a prepaid cell phone for the airtime usage. I believe this phone retails for around $3000.00 in my area. I took it to Rachel and needless to say it worked perfectly. I was in the railroad valley near the Sam site. It worked perfectly from the mailbox,and as close as I could get to the Wacko Beam. I was wondering if their would be any interference at that location but it was very clear. It worked at the location where the Keno airstrip is now, and of course from the parking lot at the Inn. The GPS built into the phone is basically to track the satellites but it pretty much matched the numbers in my Etrex. In conclusion it was an expensive toy for me for a week. I was interested to see how well it worked in the valley as it could be a lifesaver in a crucial situation.I probably wouldnt be a buyer although I havent checked Ebay. At the time I rented I believe the airtime was $2.00 a minute. this was about two years ago and maybe the prices have come down some. I only played with it for a week, maybe satellite wolf can give you much more insight than I.
Hank

In Reply to: Re: GPS units Which unit is best for me?? posted by MI on October 05, 2004 at 13:12:46 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]