Re: GPS units Which unit is best for me??

Message posted by Hank on September 28, 2004 at 16:06:55 PST:

I know that someone will jump on me for this response but here goes anyway. I think the first determination is do you need one. When I started going to the area I didnt even know what a GPS was. They may not have even been available at that time. I visited the area five or six times a year visiting Whitesides and Freedom Ridge. When they did the land grab I found myself doing alot more exploring than I had in the past. I was aware of the border markers and knew to stay clear and didnt need a GPS at that time. This was before this site was up and I was visiting other places on the net. Someone posted the GPS numbers for a crash site. At that time I had never been to one so I checked around and found a guy that hunted that lent me one and gave me a fast lesson. He entered the numbers and sent me on my way. Believe it or not I found the site. Took some pics and left. When I got home I thought I had to have one, but at that time $250.00 was about average. So I let it slide. Some time ago I ran across a Garmin Etrex basic model. It was on sale for $109.00. I bought it I believe three or four years ago. I use it on occasion and it did save me big time once. I was on Texas Lake and it got dark and if I wouldnt have entered the waypoint when I went in I would have had to wait till light to get out. Now if I find something that I think would be of interest to Joerg, or Gary or any members all I have to do is post the numbers and they can get there. My point is that I did without for some years before I felt the need to own one. Now I carry a scanner, a GPS, two digital cameras, and some other miscellanous stuff that sometimes never gets out of the trunk. I certainly get more use out of my scanner than I do out of the GPS. I believe that a good starter would be the Garmin Etrex thats is on sale on the Buy Optics link on the left hand side of the page. They sell it for $99.00 new in the box. You may be able to save some money by looking on Ebay, but buyer beware on used stuff like that. Hope this helps.
Hank

In Reply to: GPS units Which unit is best for me?? posted by MI on September 28, 2004 at 8:17:42 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]