F-21 Heading To Nellis?

Message posted by Steve Douglass on September 20, 2004 at 17:45:08 PST:

Interesting sighting today.

Coming home ( close to 7:00 PM CDT) I heard a loud noise that sounded like two high-performance jets approaching. I've done so much plane sighting that I can usually identify an aircraft just from it's engine noise, but not this pair. Engine pitch sounded somewhat higher than the F-16s, B-1Bs and F-15s that are common in the local pattern.

While I was stopped at a traffic light I caught site of them as they flew directly overhead, at about two thousand feet. I was surprised to see I could not readily identify them. From their plan forms they looked sort of like F-106 Delta Darts, with a standard delta wing and a single vertical tail. I rushed home and leafed through my Janes and identified them as F21 Kafirs. Unfortunately I did not have my scanner with me so I didn't hear a callsign.

Wanting to make sure I had identified them correctly, I called the local FSS (Tac-Air) and the woman at the desk said they had indeed had two F-21 Kafirs stop for a quick turn but they were not Israeli. They said they bore U.S. Navy markings (she thinks NAS Oceana) and they were enroute to Nellis.

Does anyone on this list know if Oceana is now flying acquired F-21s?

-Steve Douglass

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]