Re: FALCON-Lockheed

Message posted by Sundog on August 18, 2004 at 17:34:32 PST:

Those inlets seem extremely long, but if you are designing a fixed inlet for a highspeed stealthy aircraft, the mach angle is going to be high, so in that sense, it seems accurate. However, with all of the CFD available at the aerospace companies and their ability to design inlets with three dimensional shock structures, it's difficult to determine what's feasible anymore. Just for reference, the F-100 had a pitot inlet, which had a one dimensional shock inlet as does the F-16, the Vigilante, F-14, F-15 have two dimensional shock structure inlets and the F-22 (YF-23) have three dimensional shock structure inlets. I am not sure what you would call the F-35's. I would say it's three dimensional, but it really seems to me you could model it like a half-cone shock inlet, only the stealthy version.

Regardless, that is one cool looking concept! Thanks for sharing. :) BTW, I am currently looking through the DARPA news site that you linked. I take it that concept is for the "new Blackbird UCAV" that someone posted a ref. to further down?

In Reply to: FALCON-Lockheed posted by Cagepete on August 10, 2004 at 19:22:47 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]