Re: Beale AFB

Message posted by Will (NorCal) on August 16, 2004 at 6:34:22 PST:

Andrew,
There is a restored WWII POW camp "museum" at Beale, but I don't know if it is still open to the public on a drop-in basis. I have also read about tours of the PAVE PAWS facility, on an appointment basis.

I don't know about any aircraft museums, but sat photos from a few years back showed a collection of aircraft on the hot cargo ramp at the north end of the runway that would be considered "museum pieces".

I haven't been to Beale in a few years, but used to do some DishNet installs there on a fairly regular basis . As Lone Wolf said, all that was needed for access was a statement of intentions, a valid driver's license and proof of insurance. The last time I was there was sometime in early 2000. I don't know if you can get in anymore.

As far as viewing, there should be lots of places for a good view. The wind is almost always from the south, so 95% of ops are using RWY 15, takeoffs to the south, approaches from the north. There are public roads just off both ends of the runway, and numerous locations around Hallwood, Loma Rica and Wheatland where you can watch aircraft on approach or departure.

I have lived north of the runway for about 20 years, about 12 miles out. Most of my viewing is done from my front yard. Depending on the approach they are flying, most aircraft either pass directly overhead or about 1/2 mile to the east. Watching SR-71s used to be great, just like on a big-screen TV...;)

Operations have slowed down considerably in the past few weeks, but there are still plenty of aircraft flying most weekdays. Global Hawk should be here soon, fingers crossed....

In Reply to: Beale AFB posted by Andrew Howe on August 15, 2004 at 19:38:33 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]