Re: (OT)Questions regarding approach charts

Message posted by Super Dave on August 11, 2004 at 22:12:09 PST:

Waypoint names can come from a couple of different places. Example: near Cleveland, OH home of the Indians you'll find WAHOO intersection, near Mechanicsburg, OH - just north of Wright Patterson AFB is MECAN intersection. These are just locally available 5 letter names the FAA used for obvious reasons. There is also a database of worldwide waypoints (DAFIF) kept by NIMA (now NGA) that has all the waypoints in the world. Occaisonally the same name is used for multiple waypoints. As waypoints are added/deleted worldwide it is possible for a waypoint name to suddenly move 5000 miles away from where it was last month. NIMA works with the agencies of other countries when waypoints are added/deleted/moved then they rotate the waypoint names. Doesn't happen often, but I've seen it.

#2 - We get Terminal Approach Plate Supplements between printings of the DOD plates. It will list the changes in the beginning of the book to the affected plates. As we get 4 complete sets of FLIPS every 28 odd days I can just look at the previous version of the approach plate to see what changed. The change is also listed on the new plate. - This is for DOD plates, not NOAA. I think they do it the same way though.

Check out this link

https://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/index.cfm

The DAFIF data is ASCII listing all NAVAIDS, Waypoints, airports, etc.

At the bottom of the page are links to the current DOD FLIPS, and associated plates.

In Reply to: (OT)Questions regarding approach charts posted by Will (NorCal) on August 10, 2004 at 17:02:21 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]