Re: Camping

Message posted by scanner wolf on August 08, 2004 at 11:53:45 PST:

I prefer the Diamomd RH77C for scanning. You would probably need a BNC elbow for use with a mobile. You could also use a mag mount, preferably with N connector, then a N to BNC adapter for the RH77C. Rat Shack sells some antenna on a mag mount, but it is terrible. I got one with a radio that I bought on ebay and it was so bad I tossed it.

It's a bit more work, but for Mil air, I use a Rami AT-256A/ARC mounted to a piaza pan (ground plane). The antenna shows up routinely on ebaymotors.com under avionics for about $25. The trick is to modify the mag mount to fit the antenna, since you need a female N connector on the mag mount. What you do is buy a mag maount that uses the PL-259, and buy a PL-259 to female N adapter. The mag mount will be threaded for the PL-259. You desolder the bottom conntection, then unscrew the PL-259 and screw in the adapter. Solder the cable right to the adapter (PL-259 side). The blade antennas have a bit better reception to the air rather than the horizon (which is typically how antennas are targetted). If you attend air shows, you will often see runway vehicles with a Rami bolted right to the cab. [I'm not that hardcore. ;-)]

The rami is tuned to mil air, but will have some reception of VHF air. Generally, an antenna cut for a particular band is better than one that claims to be multiband.

Attached link: rami

In Reply to: Re: Camping posted by Cowboy_Fiend on August 08, 2004 at 10:53:50 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]