Chesire airstrip

Message posted by Will on July 16, 2004 at 18:43:40 PST:

I'm going out on a limb here....
but is there any way this is the famed disappearing runway in Area19?:

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=11&x=1401&y=10334&z=11&w=2

My feeble calculations make it about 100' wide and 4800-5000' long. The "terminal building" just south of the "runway" appears to be terraced like an Aztec pyramid and covered with dirt. Just guessing, but the dirt must have come from the scraped hill to the south.

There are nice, graded turnarounds at each end and a "ramp" area extending to the north. The southeast end looks a little fuzzy....like somthing is not quite right.

Some kind of hose or pipe. coming from the building entrance out to the "ramp area"....maybe fuel and/or power?

The "bushes" on the "runway" look a little duller than the ones out in the open. Maybe they're not really bushes? The line of "rocks" crossing the "runway" just to the right of center don't look quite right, either...

I'm guessing this particular spot has been looked at a thousand times and been debunked just as many....but it caught my eye. It's at the northern end of the "double ring of roads".

Will
NorCal

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]