Re: Basecamp

Message posted by lone wolf on July 14, 2004 at 20:05:28 PST:

I viewed the file at the BLM, and believe it or not, I was the only outsider to do so. I don't recall much in the way of justification, but I didn't get a copy of the document since those that review it need to sign paperwork indicating such, i.e. it's not really public domain. Perhaps eventually the land grab document goes into the public domain once the "i"'s are dotted and the "t"'s are crossed.

I spotted on obvious irregularity in the land grab. The USAF wanted to put a fence along the road to Tybo well beyond their new border. Not indicated on the map, but I suspected the length was picked so that it would reach the cattle fence north of the camp. I complained about how this fence would restrict access to BLM land, and the BLM agreed this fence was not legal. Now I don't know if they will do anything about it, but in general the BLM likes to protect its property rights and will remove illegal obstructions.

There is nothing I saw in the documents that indicated that the road to Tybo would be blocked, so I don't really see how much security this has added to the base.

The base housing has been expanded. There are two or three new double-wides. There does not appear to be any expansion in the operational end of the business.

Regarding the use of basecamp, there is the claimed maintenance of Halligan Mesa. If it were just technicians, they could chopper them into the area. Perhaps spare hardware for the comm gear is stored on the base. A google on basecamp should turn up some other visitors to the base.

In Reply to: Basecamp posted by Will (CA) on July 14, 2004 at 19:30:51 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]