The XB-70 Valkyrie and her offspring

Message posted by Philip on July 12, 2004 at 19:53:51 PST:

I've been a lurker here for many months and have enjoyed the *terrestrial* conversations in the group.

Last weekend I was visiting family and was able to make a trip to the Air Force Museum at WPAFB.

Wow.

Wright-Patterson is the greatest museum I have ever seen, all at the magical price of $0.

Beyond the B2, AC-130, Tacit Blue, Yf-12, SR-71 and X-35 demonstrator that I saw there, I really really fell in love with the XB-70 Valkyrie they had tucked away in the research hangar.

It was really a shame that so many other planes were pushed alongside it. The plane's swan-like beauty and enormous size is something best appreciated from a distance.

After I read about the tragic demise of AV/2 along with two talented pilots in 1966, I have been searching all over the web for Valkyrie stories...

Who were the GE execs who pressured the crews into doing the high-risk photo shoots? How did it pass that Joe Walker got caught up in the irregular airflow that surrounded AV/2 and what was he thinking when he made the declaration for the record moments beforehand that he didn't think it was safe?

Is anyone still around out there who was present during these tests that know about the programs? I ordered a couple of books on the Valkyrie program so I'm sure I'll learn more.

Was the Valkrie housed mostly at Edwards?

Does anyone know any details about the Super Valkyrie, and is it real? Is it the same thing as the Brilliant Buzzard?

Sorry for so many questions, but my interest has really been piqued and I figured what better place to ask...

Attached link: Super Valkyrie Rumor

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]