Re: IR Scan Of Mystery Jet Reveals Pulse Detonation Engines?

Message posted by lone wolf on June 28, 2004 at 19:52:01 PST:

And you thought the answer was going to be no! ;-)

Walmart sells a consumer version of Portra 400BW. Just look for kodak black and white film that says it can be developed in a color process, and make sure it is ISO 400 speed. I scan the negatives, but if you insist on prints, I believe Walgreens will print this kind of film. When I was experimenting with chromogenic black and white film, which Portra 400BW is classified, Walmart wanted nothing to do with the development. Walgreens on the other hand didn't complain. Most of these photolabs will scratch your negatives, so if you plan on scanning the film, you need to go to a pro-shop. However, for experimentation, Walgreen is much less work. They also have a price for developing without printing. [Yes, you need to ask, and then ask again.]

Few stores stock Macophot. You need to order it from Freestyle in Los Angeles, or those NY camera shops. Freestyle probably sells a change-bag,though any real photography store will sell them as well. The red #25 filter is very common. Freesytle sells real IR filters as well if you want to go do artsy-fartsy stuff. However, the red #25 lets in enough light that you can focus.

Regarding the other link on IR film, I've already wasted money on the Kodak and Ilford IR. [The tips there are OK.] The grain on Ilford SFX is so bad that why bother taking the photos. Macophot 820C is very fine grain. I really don't know why they don't mention this in their advertisements. The link provided has a few IR photos. Note how the models sunglasses become transparent with IR film.

This link has more tips on Macophot 820c. It also has a chart showing the bandwidth of various IR films:
Only Kodak HIE has more long wavelength response than Macophot 820c,but not by much, maybe 80nm.

Attached link: macophot examples

In Reply to: Re: IR Scan Of Mystery Jet Reveals Pulse Detonation Engines? posted by BAWA on June 28, 2004 at 17:55:34 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]