Re: many thanx lone wolf, interesting on the donut concept.

Message posted by lone wolf on June 09, 2004 at 18:50:42 PST:

The ATIS should be VHF. Not much military air traffic goes on VHF, with Nellis weapons school being the exception, and sometimes CAP.

For long distance military airband reception, i.e. where you are sure the signal will never get above you, the as-1405 is the antenna to get. It shows up on the surplus market for about $100.

The link I provided has some info on the antenna, though a bit inaccurate. I suspect the guy never saw one in the flesh, and made some assumptions based on a photograph.

The antenna is a traditional log periodic, much like a TV antenna, but without the elements being bent backward in a V shape. The last two or three elements (mine is in the garage and I'm too lazy to go look) are extendable. This is to keep the size of the antenna down for transporation. The antenna should come with a molded plastic case for transportation. I'd be reluctant to buy one without the case since this type of antenna can be easily damaged in transport if unprotected. Uncle Sam must have paid big money for this antenna.

This antenna uses an N connector, so hooking up to it is pretty easy. I've never seen the original tripod for the antenna, and it is not obvious how the military tripod was attached. When I use it at the power lines, I just prop it on a chair.

This is one of the few mil air antennas with gain.

Attached link: as1405

In Reply to: many thanx lone wolf, interesting on the donut concept. posted by aaron johnson on June 09, 2004 at 0:09:53 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]