Re: Tikaboo Approach Sensors?

Message posted by lone wolf on June 02, 2004 at 0:34:19 PST:

The only test I saw was on Tikaboo with Joerg and Bill. I'd have to search the website for the date. There are periods other than the new moon when there is no moon present. I haven't quite figured out a good way to determine these periods, but basically 3 or 4 days after the full moon will yield an hour or so of darkness. Each day you get another hour of darkness. The test we saw didn't last very long. Less than half an hour I would guess.

If you go during the new moon, you will have to stay up all night. This is not an easy task if you are on Tikaboo since the hike up is a killer. The weather at night can be nasty at 8000ft.

I can't see how they could launch a plane in the daytime without it being spotted from Tikaboo. I got photos of F117s on the ground on my last hike. Steve from Desert Secrets got migs or su27s. They would have to be really sure nobody is watching, but I just don't think that could be determined with 100% certainty. You really don't have to be on top of Tikaboo, but rather on a hill that is pretty high. This includes areas near Tikaboo, as well as spots like Flat Top, Reveille Peak, or even a few without names that have partial views of the base.

Note that the base is kind of blacked out during a test. You can't even attempt to see the plane being tested block out lights at the base so that the shape and size can be determined, The runway lights are on, but that didn't seem to be useful in seeing whatever was flying.

Sedalia Mike and I watched some UAV tests from the power line overlook. Again, the report should be in the archives. Basically, lights would appear from near Bald Mountain. There is a pass just north of Bald Mountain where the base likes to send out planes. The lights would fly a route that went over the base, headed towards Tikaboo, then circled around a bit east of the powerlines, then over Mt. Irish, then back to the pass at Bald Mountain. The most unusual thing I saw the plane do is flash a light on the top, illuminating the sky. I assume that light was meant for another plane in the air.

In Reply to: Re: Tikaboo Approach Sensors? posted by lowrydr310 on June 01, 2004 at 22:02:32 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]