Pictures from A51 and references to it

Message posted by lowrydr310 on June 01, 2004 at 22:17:25 PST:

I noticed a post here maybe two or three weeks ago that made mention of the SR-71. I was reading somewhere online (can't find the link at the moment) declassified CIA documents about disagreements over using the CIA's A-12 for a world speed record (when in fact the CIA denied having any aircraft). In the declassified document, there were several obvious references to A51 that were blacked out. I wonder why the name was blacked out, even after all these years?

Also, I have a book (Skunk Works by Ben Rich and Leo Janos) that makes many references to the remote test facility north of Las Vegas near the DOE Test Site, nicknamed "Paradise Ranch", that was constructed south of a dry lake bed, where the U-2, SR-71, and F-117 were tested. There are several pictures in the book that were supposedly taken at "the test site". There are some of a U-2 and some of the F-117 outside of hangars, and some pictures with mountain ranges in the background.

I was wondering if it is possible for anyone familiar with the area to match the mountains and see where they were taken. Of course, this leads me to wonder if in order for those photos to be published, the background had to be altered so as not to identify the location.

Just a thought

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]