Re: Camping Silver Bow

Message posted by lone wolf on May 19, 2004 at 20:34:45 PST:

I was there in October 2003, and nothing has changed. The TTR (in my opinion) is a place where you would rather car camp than set up a tent. It seems to have the most wildlife of the various "missions". Coyotes howling all night don't give me the warm and fuzzies. Worse is when they come near you and bark incessantly.

Incidentally, you could substitute Bonanza Peak for the Mt. Sterling "mission". I climbed it about a week ago until I hit snow around 8500ft. I'm certain I could see Yucca Lake, but I wasn't too sure if I was viewing Papoose Lake. Bonanza Peak has a well established trail with plenty of switchbacks to keep the grade from getting to steep. The peak is a bit over 10k ft, so the view should be great if the weather is clear. [The hike starts at 7519ft according to my GPS.] You can reach the Bonanza Peak trailhead by driving through Cold Creek, which is reach by using the road near the prisons on route 95. The actual trailhead was hard to find since there are 3 trails leaving the parking area. The proper trailhead is located at N36.38215 W115.74082, and has some very small concrete posts near it.

In Reply to: Re: Camping Silver Bow posted by Dave Bethke on May 19, 2004 at 17:14:48 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]