Old Edwards lakebed runway

Message posted by Ron on May 19, 2004 at 11:02:16 PST:

When I was flying over the Edwards/Mojave area other day in the C-54(ex-mil DC-4), I saw the current lakebed runways and the large compass rose out there.

But I could see, the faded remains of a really long lakebed runway next to Edwards that went on for miles and miles, and was much longer than the others.

However it was obviously not maintained anymore and looks like it has not been used in a long time.

Was this used on the X-15 days?

It was really interesting flying over that area. I flew just north of Edwards, so I couldnt really make out any specific planes other than the NB-52, and a 747 on the north end of the ramp. I could make out all the planes on the Edwards fighter ramp, but they were too far to make out any specific ones, although I was sure hoping to see an F-22. It was the weekend so you one could fly right over Edwards and thru the restricted area.

I could even make out the location of Pancho Barnes place off the end of one of the runways.

Also around that area surrounding edwards, it seems there are private dirt strips in everyones backyard.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]