Re: Hangar 23?

Message posted by lone wolf on May 18, 2004 at 12:39:33 PST:

Regading the height of the hangers, I would check out the panoramas.

The black jet was very conventional looking. It was too far away to see if a white bunny was painted on the tail. ;-) I'm guessing it was an electronics test bed or one of those flying radar test planes similar to those of Lincoln Labs. I suppose it could be a tanker, but would they bother to park a tanker in a hanger? I took some photos, but the conditions were poor at best (the sun often hidden by clouds and very gusty wind).

I'll let Black F150 do the Tikaboo report, but here are a few interesting tidbits. We had 3 scanners. One was parked on the groom tower, one on the groom approach/departure, and the other scanning the NTS. Talk group 9648 seemed to be coordinating air traffic for the NTS relative to Groom operations. [There was a training exercise going on at Pahute Mesa that day. Of major concern was the supply of gatorade.] The Groom tower was giving "Mother 51" (callsign of the month was mother) flight route instructions. Groom ATC had to contact "Gumby Control" regarding the flight plan change.

Regarding scanning the NTS, I've decoded 3 of their trunk systems (out of a total of 10). You can monitor the NTS with an Astro capable scanner using the following settings:
Base 406.1
Offset 380
Step 12.5
Control channels, 406.15, 406.625, 406.925

If those control channels can't be received, try 406.1375. This trunk has a split in it, so the scanner won't follow all the channels in use until I figure out how to set up the split.

In Reply to: Re: Hangar 23? posted by BlackF150 on May 12, 2004 at 22:29:55 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]