Re: Buzzed by choppers??

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on April 19, 2004 at 20:18:20 PST:

There are at least two reasons you may get "buzzed" by the Pave Hawk: Either you act suspicious or they are on one of their regular rounds and decide to check you out. In that case they will usually fly over only once, and then continue on.

I had the pleasure several times for reason #2, and at least once for #1, when I inadvertently dropped out of sight of their cameras near Roadblock Canyon, and stayed "hidden" for a while. On that occasion the Pave Hawk flew several low circles over me, and only left when I started taking photos. That seems to be an effective way to get rid of them, although you may risk damage to your camera due to sand kicked up by the rotor.

On its regular rounds, the chopper usually leaves the base near the GL Rd. guard shack, flies north along White Sides and over the "Bald Mtn. Gates" and further towards Andies Mine. I have never actually seen it turn, but I suppose it flies east from there over Coyote Summit, then along the range NE of the ET Highway, then south past Tikaboo Peak and finally west along the R61 line back into the restricted area near Roadblock Canyon. In other words, it circles Tikaboo Valley clockwise.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I am looking forward to your trip report.

In Reply to: Buzzed by choppers?? posted by Rose-chan on April 19, 2004 at 16:33:57 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]