Re: GPS Recommendations

Message posted by John H. on April 13, 2004 at 16:25:17 PST:

Hey Slick,

I have a Magellan Meridium Platinum and it is great. The units have to have three sat.'s to triangulate, but if you have contour maps in the GPS's memory, you need four sat.'s to figure altitude. Magellan puts out maps to download into the GPS and they have one of the Rachel area...I have it.

As far as it working from the car, the unit needs to be on the forward part of the dash so the unit's antenna can be clear of the car's metal roof, if only a couple of inches. The antenna can recieve the sat.'s signals thru glass but it's impossible to recieve thru such things as metal, concrete, rock, etc.. Magellan sells acouple of holders for the car, one a permanent mount and one that attaches via suction cups on the windshield. The only drawback to this one is that after time, the suction cups have to be replaced, esp. if it(the holder)sits in a hot vehicle for multiple days, but it's this way with any suction cup.

Hope this helps, but any questions, just e-mail me, ok?
Regards,
John

In Reply to: Re: GPS Recommendations posted by Slick on April 13, 2004 at 14:49:01 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]