Re: GPS Recommendations

Message posted by lone wolf on April 12, 2004 at 9:03:21 PST:

Those in-dash nav systems are pretty poor for off-road use. Most roads aren't even in the nav systems, plus they don't work well with waypoints. The only nice thing about the in-dash units (at least mine) is that it shows the border of the Nellis range.

My recollection is you need four birds for a fix, not three. Generally the GPSs use all the birds they can hear, but use a weighting scheme based on the signal to noise ratio of each bird. In short, it is one of the cases where more is more.

I'd get the Garmin Etrex Vista. The memory is more than enough for the ranges. I wouldn't rule out Magellan GPS, but I have no first hand experience with them. They have some advantages, but mainly the use of SD memory.

Garmin has a GPSMAP76 listed as a sneak peak. It has 115Mbytes of memory. I suspect better detailed maps are in the works as the reason for the increased memory. It would be something to consider.

You can go to the sci.geo.satellite-nav usenet group for tips. The main GPS people on that usenet group run a website in the attached link.

Attached link: gps info

In Reply to: GPS Recommendations posted by slick on April 12, 2004 at 8:41:51 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]