Re: Uniden Bearcat BC80XLT

Message posted by lone wolf on March 25, 2004 at 11:29:40 PST:

Easy question. No military air coverage. Save your money.

In your price range, you might look for either the Sony SC1, Sony SC1PC, or the Radio Shack Pro-26 to show up on Ebay. I got a SC1PC when Sony left the market and blew 'em out for $100 at J&R. Very sensitive, but the squelch time constant is too fast for my taste. I don't like to band scan with it, but channel scanning is fine. I've have no first hand knowledge of the Pro-26, but Radio Shack conventional (i.e. non-trunk) scanners work well. [Not all their trunked scanners were good.]

The MVT7100 were $150 a year ago. I'm not sure what happened. I wish I bought a second one at that price.

Incidentally, just google
military air scanner
and you should get a few hits on which scanners have mil air.

The new Uniden trunkers have mil air (250D and 296), but are quite expensive. However, you are getting state of the art trunking as well as mil air.

Some of the older RS scanners that can be PC programmed can have their receive range opened up using software from http://www.starrsoft.com, but only the Pro-96 has respectable specs in the mil air band after the receive range is altered.

In Reply to: Uniden Bearcat BC80XLT posted by Tommy on March 25, 2004 at 1:52:46 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]