Re: OT: GPS questions

Message posted by jklier on March 02, 2004 at 23:10:34 PST:

I can personally vouch for the Meridian Gold. I would have liked the color unit but it is not very easy to read outdoors and the battery life isn't too great. The memory card feature is fantastic. I've got 128MB in mine now and have 12 base maps which cover all of Texas in both street maps and topo and I've got room to spare on the card. You can load the maps on a SD card reader so uploads are very fast (not so quick going straight into the unit). The cards are loaded inside the battery compartment so they are behind a water resistant seal.

I have not been on any hiking trips with it yet so I have not done any point to point navigation. However I did purchase the Direct Route software and the in vehicle turn by turn street navigation is top notch. It comes real close to those very expensive built in units.

BTW don't by the Magellan SD cards. They are very overpriced and just about any brand of SD will work fine (with a few exceptions).

John

In Reply to: online store & GPS & some ramblings posted by lone wolf on March 01, 2004 at 20:26:22 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]