Re: Scanners

Message posted by lone wolf on February 16, 2004 at 12:49:51 PST:

Looking around the net for a scanner that does LTR trunking, I noticed the Uniden BC780XLT is starting to be sold at discounted prices. As far as trunking goes, it is a bit obsolete, but this particular radio does do mil air, has alphanumeric capability, and a PC port for programming. It is a mobile rather than a handheld, but that isn't a big deal if you are just going to scan near your car. I've seen Chuck use his Radio Shack mobile with a gel-cell. Mobile radios tend to receive better than handhelds in a few categories, namely less intermod and fewer birdies. Intermod is not a problem near the ranges since there are few transmitter there as compared to any urban setting. Birdies (frequencies where you can't receive since the radio itself is generating those frequencies) can be a problem if the birdie is on the frequency you want to monitor.

I found the BC780XLT for $279 with free shipping. I don't want to plug the store, but a google or froogle search should find that deal or maybe a better one.

In Reply to: Scanners posted by Frank Stamm on February 14, 2004 at 10:16:24 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]